December 15, 2020
National stats on underground utility damage released
The Damage Information Report Tool (DIRT) encompasses utility strikes across a wide range of industries and sectors, as well as by home and property owners. The data is used by the CCGA and its provincial organizations, including the Ontario Regional Common Ground Alliance (ORCGA) in Ontario, to focus education and promotion efforts (including Dig Safe Month, Dig Safe messaging, etc.) to those groups with the highest instances and increases in damage.
The report provides some insightful statistics, including:
- 1 in 4 damages is due to the excavating party not making a locate request.
- Nearly 1 in 5 damages involve hazardous/life threatening facilities.
- More than 48 damages occurred per work day.
- Societal cost of damages is estimated to be over $1.2 billion.
- Natural gas and telecommunications facilities account for 85 per cent of damages.
The Canadian 2019 DIRT Report can be found below or at canadiancga.com/national-dirt-and-statistics-committee-public.